Friday, August 29, 2008

Ask Chris - Do I Need to Tear Off My Old Roof?

Q. I've read in your Q&A series that metal roofing can go over the top of most existing roofs, but the roofer I spoke to recommended tearing my old roof off. Why is that?

A. If you're considering another asphalt roof, then I agree with your roofer. That's because asphalt deteriorates more quickly as you pile up the layers. Metal, on the other hand, isn't affected by what's underneath it to the same extent. Because it's so rigid and lightweight, going over most existing roofing with metal is in fact a very good idea. Not only do you save yourself the expense and mess of the tear-off, it's also far more environmentally friendly as you're keeping that material out of the landfill.

Got a burning roofing question? Ask in the comments and we'll post Chris' answer on our blog!

No comments: